Monday, August 2, 2010

success?

"Success is a journey, not a destination." Arthur Ashe

I do not really like the word success. Usually I associate it with an accomplishment or outside accolades. This quote by Arthur Ashe reframed the meaning for me. Success is the process. Yes, results matter and they are temporary. How am I living the process?

I have been reading the caringbridge site for a beloved local man in hospice care. The testimonies are about how he lived his life, not what he did. Why is that so hard to remember day-to-day? When I recently told a colleague I am thinking my purpose is to "celebrate the art of living", she challenged me. "it is not big enough," she said. I do not agree -- living in the present, with gratitude, while celebrating life --- that is a life-time of challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment