Monday, April 23, 2012

Composing a life

Each of us is an artist of our days; the greater the integrity and awareness, the more original and creative our time will become. John O'Donohue
My life is a musical composition; my choices and reactions are the notes. It is hard to see what I am composing. I can see other people's story-line more clearly. My sister and I were reflecting on our mother's life. She did not have much joy. Neither of us remember her laughing. We do remember her anger. It is sad to know she had choices that she did not see. What choices do I not see or hear? If I stop; if I can find stillness for a period of time I may see my composition more clearly. As a person gifted with the ability "to do", it can take a long time. I can get like Lake Superior when the wind has whipped her into formidable waves. Even though the wind has slowed, settling takes time. I am grateful for my day-to-day reflective practices that I have learned over the years. These are like the spaces between the waves. I can sometimes notice discordant notes; make different choices
And on retreat, I become quiet. The still pond reflects. I may get a new perspective on my melody. How do I compose my moments, my days, my life? What life-affirming choices need to be made?

2 comments:

  1. So, so much is said in this story about choices. The metaphor of the lake, pond and composition really speak to me. Thank you for taking the time to write this. May your time in Ireland give you the perspective on your melody that gives you the awareness that makes you even more creative. With admiration and gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of choice! What memories are we creating? How joy is all around, if we stop and pay attention to it. Today my 11 year old found these words in a lovely chant cd we've been listenting to in order to add some peace to our energetic home..She proclaimed-mom, it says: "Put a frog in the sink, put a frog in the sink". I laughed, she laughed, we all enjoyed the pure silliness of it! May we all choose joy.

    ReplyDelete