Saturday, January 19, 2013

Embracing vulnerability

“Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we are supposed to be and embracing who we are.” ~ Brené Brown


This week we ran an old radio show, the one where I first describe Dr Brené Brown's work. That was 2 years ago. I am so grateful that my daughter sent me her TED talk. At first, I was embarrassed, thinking she was revealing my secrets. If you listened this week to the replay, you may hear my hesitance in using the word "shame" on the air. I wish I could remember more about my embarrassment. Because now,I am so grateful for her research and the lessons in resilience. I have so many stories of times where shame has taken me hostage and a new little voice in my head asks what is going on? Is it shame? Then I remember the 3 C's - courage to look at what is going on; compassion for myself and connecting with trusted friends who will empathize.

A few weeks ago, I left a family member's house feeling icky. In the past I might have pushed through this. This time, I wondered why? I remembered I had said something that was harsh. I did not mean it be personal, but I think it was taken that way. I was ashamed of myself. Then I thought maybe I could just feel guilty instead (there is a big difference). Feeling guilty meant I could do something to make amends. I called the victim of my words and apologized. I felt vulnerable doing this. But I did it. And I called the witness of my words and apologized again. I felt lighter. I could forgive myself for my error and felt hopeful that I might be a bit more resilient.

Thank you Dr. Brown!

“God give me the courage to show up and let myself be seen.”

Brené Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment