Monday, June 3, 2013

"To be awake is to be alive." ~ Henry David Thoreau

I have been listening to different friends talk about what is going on in their lives and looking at their patterns. It is so much easier to see patterns in someone else, much easier than seeing them in myself. I can see where they continue to date the guy who breaks their heart or sacrifice their well-being for the job.

Have you heard the story of asking the fish what water is like – and the fish responds, “what is water?” That is how our patterns are, invisible like the water in which we swim. This is why I value reflection and self-observation. I ask myself what story am I telling myself? What do I do to keep myself safe? I used to think reflection was of no value. Only when I got a glimpse of my own contradictions did I add some reflection into my life.

In my practice of reflection I have noticed some of my patterns
* I tend to live in tomorrow or yesterday.
* I expect a lot (too much?) of myself and others.
* I assume that there is not enough time for all I want to accomplish.
• I assume obligation is more important than self-care.

None of these stories serve me, but they are they were directing my choices and behavior – almost invisibly. And they are embarrassing. Silly when I name them.

What story are we telling ourselves about how we “have to live our day?” If we don’t observe ourselves, we will never know our choices.

“Waking up is not a selfish pursuit of happiness, it is a revolutionary stance, from the inside out, for the benefit of all beings in existence.” ~Noah Levine

1 comment:

  1. While lounging on the lazy river at Valley Fair the other day, I decided to let the current carry me to the finish line at its own pace. During the ride, I flashed back to carefree feelings I had while sunbathing in the summertime as a teen. Those were the times that truly grounded and recharged me. I now intend to recreate these carefree moments again, soon and often.

    Also, your fourth bullet point above reminds me of a lesson I learned a long time ago: "We can't be anything to others until we take care of ourselves first." So true!

    ReplyDelete