Friday, March 12, 2010

Kindness begats kindness

"Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love." ~ Lao Tzu

Last week while I was shopping at Target, a woman said, "Hold on, I have a coupon for that." She had seen me pick up the jumbo pack of paper towels. Such a small act and yet as I notice more random acts of kindness, I feel hopeful. When I watch too many hours of "news", I worry about the evil created by fear. I am pained at the destruction we can cause in the name of power. And then there was the lady at Target. OK, she wasn't resolving world hunger or ending war, or maybe she was. Doesn't peace start within us and around us?

In Wayne Dyer's book, The Power of Intention, he sites research on the power of kindness. A single act of kindness increases the levels of serotonin in the recipient of the kindness and the one being kind. Even those who witness the act of kindness are effected the same! Kindness creates more well-being in ourselves and in those around us. Thanks Target lady for the reminder.

Leo Buscaglia said, "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

No comments:

Post a Comment