Friday, March 26, 2010

What is your sound?

"Sometimes it takes a long time to sound like yourself."
~Miles Davis

What sounds like you?

This question got several immediate comments when it went out as the question of the week last Sunday. It resonates with me too. Why? It takes self-awareness and courage to sound like myself. I suppose early on I sounded like myself and then I learned. Then I sounded like my mother or my teachers. Later I sounded like the dominant voices in the room (I liked to be liked and I hate conflict -- two powerful mute buttons). Then I wanted to sound more authentic but was sure I would be judged harshly. That was terrifying as it would affirm my worse fears. As I learned to quiet the judge, I then had to get quiet enough to hear my whole voice (not just my head voice, but my heart and gut voice). It does take a long time and it still a work in process.

No comments:

Post a Comment