Monday, April 19, 2010

My personal power lab -- still stuck in Amsterdam

I am in a personal Power Lab (www.powerandsystems.com) Carrying around our little plastic bag of personal belongings (luggage is only available if you wait 6 hours while they manually search for bags that look like yours) working at the edge of my assumptions about power. I have long struggled with my image of holding up the world – it is all up to me. Along with that assumption is the false notion I can control things. The volcano is a formidable teacher. I am both learning to accept what is and keep focused on what I want to have happen.

I have been so appreciative of folks checking in, offering ideas, offering their support. Strangers offering their homes! Travel agents doing the best they can as they assist caller after caller.

Also, so many pieces of valuable advice have come my way. One category of coaching is to work on acceptance: enjoy being in Amsterdam – be present with what is. And I see the wisdom in that. At times I am accepting – particularly when I feel some hope. And it is hard to find that peaceful place amidst reports this delay could go on for WEEKS. I feel like I am driving from Nebraska through the rockies, each dip is deeper. I see that I need more mindfulness practice so I can quiet my mind easily. Fear has a tenacious grip when she wants to keep me safe (comfortable, "secure"). Adrenaline pumps, sleep is difficult, judgment impaired. It helps that our 4th hotel in 5 nights is near the airport and in a small town. Being in nature is critical for me to get grounded. Tom has been a great coach too. I am very grateful that we are together.

Another category of advice is “get moving”. Get a boat lined up (QEII has a suite for 10,000), go to Spain or Italy, rent a car, buy a car and ship it back… move towards the possibilities. There is wisdom here too. There is some value in staying informed and doing what we can from our end to get home. And when I swing too far, I never stop my computer research to notice the beauty around me. Again, tom is helpful here too.

The learning lab continues, no one knows when it will end...

No comments:

Post a Comment